[Koha-devel] New preferences editor

Frederic Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Thu Jun 17 12:27:00 CEST 2010

> We mustn't forget that before we couldn't translate the
> systempreferences at all, or we could only do it into one language you
> certainly couldn't have it translated in more than one, from that
> respect its a huge improvement.

You get a point. Before, sysprefs were translatable but only by updating
.sql files. Now, and I agree it's a huge improvement, translation can be
delegated to translator rather than to developers. My concern about
difficulties for translators to get syntactic well-formed sentences can
have a solution if syspref description are well chosen and avoid English
idiotisms. We must get feedback from translators about issues they
encounter and then define rules for syspref descriptions.

> So before we dump on it too much, lets remember that. Lets also
> remember that Jesse did it, while others talked about it, someone went
> and wrote some code, lets do more of that and less of denigrating
> others work.

It wasn't my intent and so I apologize if it was perceived this way.

I add a page in the wiki to go ahead in the right direction for
developers and translators:

   http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/System_Preferences

Native English speakers are invited to fix my misspelling and gallicisms.

--
Frédéric DEMIANS