[Koha-devel] DBIx::Class vs current Koha's DBI performance

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Nov 4 20:26:18 CET 2010

* Kyle Hall (kyle.m.hall at gmail.com) wrote:
>    How much work would it be to move Koha to the Catalyst framework?
>    Kyle

Only a complete rewrite.

The work we are doing with Plack and Starman will give us a persistent
environment, that will, in all likelihood outperform any framework
unless it was also running under Plack.

Back to DBIx::Class, I have no plans to use it for anything other than
schema abstraction for 3.4. April 22 isn't far away.
However if someone sends in patches for a module that uses DBIx::Class
and we don't take a big performance hit, (and it passes QA and the rest
of the tests) it would go in.

Small steps, we have a 6 month release, getting Template::Toolkit,
Schema abstraction, C4/Search fixes, all the RFC in is going to be
enough. Lets work on small manageable improvements. Anyone who wanted to
work on finding the circular object references we have, and breaking
them would move us a lot closer to being able to run the whole of Koha
under a persistent tool.

Currently people are testing with the Opac, and circulation, with good
results.

Chris