[Koha-devel] DBIx::Class vs current Koha's DBI performance

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Nov 4 21:07:36 CET 2010

* Clay Fouts (cfouts at liblime.com) wrote:
>    Do you have a roadmap/plan for the transition to TT? This process also
>    seems like a good time to start separating out the monolithic
>    "get_template_and_user" function. It would be very handy and allow for
>    more elegant design if we were able to specify the template just prior to
>    rendering it rather than at the very beginning.

Hi Clay

We have a summer of tech student who has lots of experience with machine
translation. The roadmap for 3.4 TT work looks like this

1/ Exact translation of the templates from HTML::Template::Pro to TT,
scripted and repeatable.

2/ Lots and lots of testing

3/ Call a template freeze

4/ Run the conversion a final time.

5/ Start accepting template patches again, but only TT ones.

6/ Maybe start changing things.

But the main aim is to get TT in there, so that we can start changing
things like get_template_and_user, caching rendered fragments etc.

>    One method of breaking up the circularity that appears in many areas of
>    Koha is by splitting functions out in a MVC-style arrangement. If you're
>    finding yourself tempted to introduce a circularity in your data schema,
>    it's often the case that that relationship can be expressed through a View
>    or Controller class instead.

Yep, and if you come across one, patches to fix them would be
gratefully received, thats the kind of refactoring we should encourage.

>    Having worked with Catalyst, it's a fine framework, but it's cumbersome
>    and not worth porting existing code to. If writing an app from the ground
>    up it would be a consideration.

I agree.

Chris