[Koha-devel] externalising translator and etc

Frédéric Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Wed Nov 10 17:55:10 CET 2010

> I propose to get etc and translator as external git repositories.
> Why ?
>
> It would allow to have po files in their own repository and limit the
> weight of Koha git archives.
> For etc, it would allow to change the installer in order to keep track
> of local changes for every person and therefore be able to synchronize
> with community version properly.

Good idea.

I don't know if the size of Koha git repository is an issue but for
organizational purpose, dividing Koha into smaller parts seems great.

Another issue is the fact that we have two Koha downloadable versions,
one with translated templates and one without. With translated
templates, Koha archive is 241 Mo, when english-only version is 30 Mo.

I plan for 3.4, when Template Toolkit will be integrated, to modify the
web installer in order to add the ability to pick up a language and to
translate it on the fly. This way we would have a unique Koha archive.

But we can also have multiple translation packages containing .po files
(and Debian packages) installable only when needed. Imagine:

   apt-get install koha koha-locale-fr

A tar gzip of current po directory produces a 21 Mo archive. So I
suppose that a Koha archive without any translation at all (no .po
files) would weight only 9 Mo.

--
Frédéric