[Koha-devel] externalising translator and etc

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 19:10:20 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM, LAURENT Henri-Damien
<henridamien.laurent at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I propose to get etc and translator as external git repositories.
> Why ?
>
> It would allow to have po files in their own repository and limit the
> weight of Koha git archives.
> For etc, it would allow to change the installer in order to keep track
> of local changes for every person and therefore be able to synchronize
> with community version properly.

-1 for moving etc to a separate Git project.  The default
configuration files are an integral part of Koha.  For variant
configurations such as a Plack or nginx config, it would be clearer to
have relevant files in subdirectories or identified by file name
instead of putting them in branches.  That way, somebody installing
Koha for the first time would see (say) both an etc/koha-apache.conf
and an etc/koha-nginx.conf; i.e., all of the options would be directly
in front of them.  Furthermore, often changes made to files in etc are
dependent on changes made to code or templates; separating etc and the
rest of Koha into submodules would make it harder to prepare patches
and manage topic branches.

0 for moving the PO files to a separate Git project.  The size of the
repository doesn't really strike me as a big deal; the Git protocol is
pretty efficient.  That said, while I don't see a great deal of
benefit to splitting the translations off into a separate repository,
I don't see much harm either.

One thing to keep in mind is that whether the release tarballs include
all languages expanded or not has nothing to do with how the Git
repositories are structured.  Looking at the download statistics for
koha-3.02.00.tar.gz versus koha-3.02.00-all-translations.tar.gz, very
few people use or need the all-translations version.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton