[Koha-devel] Search Engine Changes : let's get some solr

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Mon Nov 15 08:52:48 CET 2010

2010/11/15 Frédéric Demians <frederic at tamil.fr>:

>> IE just XML::LibXML (Without the sax) which we now know is a lot
>> faster :) Galen's tests essentially do the same thing, except with
>> passing it through MARC::File::XML
>
> Comparisons are odious. DOM uses an underlying SAX parser to load any
> XML document in memory. DOM is not as SAX parser as itself. Galen tests,
> as I understand them, show that current MARC::File::XML parser, which
> include a specif SAX event handler, is slower than loading directly a
> DOM document. It contradicts the theory. The explanation is, as stated
> by Galen, that Perl SAX parser implementation is not good... My tests
> use XML::Simple and so load the whole MARCXML document in memory before
> rendering it into a MARC::Record object. It gives a picture of the
> difference between parsing MARCXML in pure Perl vs using an external SAX
> parser.

I work with the author of XML::Simple .. and he would (and does) tell
people not to use it for anything than parsing very simple XML
structures.

http://search.cpan.org/~grantm/XML-Simple-2.18/lib/XML/Simple.pm#WHERE_TO_FROM_HERE?

So do I understand from what you are saying, that Galens work is not
useful, and that a pureperl XML parser is the only way forward? I hope
this is just another language based misunderstanding. Because I
disagree totally if not.

Chris