[Koha-devel] Time for reflexion

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 14:34:24 CET 2010

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 4:12 AM, Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Le 15/11/2010 10:05, Fridolyn SOMERS a écrit :
>> I'm used to Java with MVC, patterns and object/database mapping.
>>
>> We could imagine a migration step by step from Perl to Java since Perl
>> compiler is integrated into JVM.
> Yikes !

Indeed, yikes! :)

Perl is capable of supporting MVC and ORMs.  Rewriting Koha in Java,
no matter how carefully planned, would be a time consuming process,
and the result would almost certainly be worse than simply writing a
new Java-based ILS from scratch.  That is not to say, however, that
there couldn't be some interesting experiments to try getting Koha and
Java code to interoperate, and if/when Koha adopts Perl 6, Parrot
might provide a bridge as well.

Regards,

Galen
--