[Koha-devel] Time for reflexion

Thomas Krichel krichel at openlib.org
Mon Nov 15 21:11:41 CET 2010

  Folks

  since this says it's about "reflexion", let me add my voice here.
  I have to confess I don't know much about the internals of koha,
  and I have not used solr.

  I understand that solr is a full-text indexer. I think to use this
  best, it would be advisable to first create a set of static web
  pages, one for each item in the catalog, and then use solr on this
  set. Libraries can in this way expose their catalog to the web (and
  have all the visibility benefits from that) and use the pages for a
  second search engine via solr. Such an approach to solr indexing
  could be an optional add on that would not conflict with the
  current internals of koha.

  I would not wish to see solr as the primary engine since zebra
  does so many things that are specific to the library world.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                    http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                http://authorclaim.org/profile/pkr1
                                               skype: thomaskrichel