[Koha-devel] MARC record size limit

Frederic Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Wed Oct 27 08:15:41 CEST 2010

> I did some (very limited) testing on storing and retrieving MARC in
> YAML. The results were not encouraging. IIRC, I just did a direct
> conversion of the MARC::Record object into YAML and back. Perhaps
> there's a way to optimize the formatting that would improve
> performance, but my testing showed sometimes even worse performance
> than XML.

Did you use YAML or YAML::XS? My tests with YAML::XS shows a very
significant improvement with YAML: see attached file. Of course, we
should define an serialization format independent from MARC::Record
object if we don't want to break the process when MARC::Record internal
data structure ever change.

> MARCXML is a performance killer at this point, but there's no other
> apparent way to handle large bib records. The parsing is the issue,
> not the data transfer load. Perhaps cached BSON-formatted MARC::Record
> objects are a way out of this.

   Benchmark should be done with all available serialization formats.

We also could implement serialization/deserialization logic directly
into MARC::Record library, as ISO2709 and XML format, in order gain
control.
--
Frédéric