[Koha-devel] System design

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Mon Aug 29 01:37:48 CEST 2011

Paul schreef op vr 26-08-2011 om 17:39 [-0400]:
> 1)  The system (Ubuntu 11.04) is being installed on a SSD (solid state
> drive) which recommends keeping "writes" to a minimum for longevity.  This
> obviously includes logs, etc, but not necessarily the sql database.

You aren't going to use up the write limit of a decent SSD any time
soon.

> Does anyone have to hand a list of "system" versus "run-time" directories
> and files?  I'm particularly curious about Zebra (which I do not fully
> understand) as it appears to be proliferous and ubiquitous.

It depends how you install it. For the packages, all the changable stuff
goes in /var/lib/koha (zebra databases are in here), and /var/lib/mysql
if you use a local database. There's also /var/log/koha
and /var/spool/koha. But everything outside of /var is pretty static.

> 2)  I have stabilized a partially customized Koha 3.2.5 which is close to
> meeting our needs.  Koha 3.4 would be my choice on the new server (and I'm
> not worried about cosmetics -- CSS, etc) but how bullet-proof is the data
> conversion (as of now about 80,000 records)?

80,000 isn't that big :) I'd say try it and find out, I've not noticed
many upgrade issues. Just keep a backup, but that's good advice anyway.
Also, upgrading to 3.4 will make you update your customisations, which
is good to do anyway.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.