[Koha-devel] System design

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Fri Aug 26 23:39:01 CEST 2011

Our budget has finally allowed me a new "all singing, all dancing" server
and it has physically arrived. Two questions if I may -- and if I'm off
topic, plz say so:

1)  The system (Ubuntu 11.04) is being installed on a SSD (solid state
drive) which recommends keeping "writes" to a minimum for longevity.  This
obviously includes logs, etc, but not necessarily the sql database.  A
quick "find / -iname" on the sandbox (Koha 3.02.05.000) for '*koha*' is
enormous.

Does anyone have to hand a list of "system" versus "run-time" directories
and files?  I'm particularly curious about Zebra (which I do not fully
understand) as it appears to be proliferous and ubiquitous.

2)  I have stabilized a partially customized Koha 3.2.5 which is close to
meeting our needs.  Koha 3.4 would be my choice on the new server (and I'm
not worried about cosmetics -- CSS, etc) but how bullet-proof is the data
conversion (as of now about 80,000 records)?

I truly want Koha to be our long term data solution for our holdings, but
am still wet behind the ears with Koha, so all help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Paul
Tired old sys-admin