[Koha-devel] FIXME in biblio.pm

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Sat Dec 17 04:12:19 CET 2011

Hi Paul,

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:

> Good evening,
>
> First glitch with 3.06 has appeared: adding an 'item' after importing
> biblio via z39.50 is functional (it adds the item !!!) but the admin
> interface gives:
>
> Software error:
> Can't call method "subfield" on an undefined value at
> /usr/share/koha/lib/C4/Biblio.**pm line 3008.

Experience has shown that this type of error usually is the result of
corrupt data.

> Lines 3006-3008 of biblio.pm called from additem.pl:
>
>        # get title of the record (to store the 10 first letters with the
>        my ( $titletag, $titlesubfield ) = GetMarcFromKohaField(
> 'biblio.title', '' );    # FIXME: should be GetFrameworkCode($**biblionumber)
> ??
>        $title = lc( $record->subfield( $titletag, $titlesubfield ) );
>
> Before I start looking elsewhere, can someone kindly help me with the use
> of FIXME comments?

FIXME's are notes by devs generally flagging code which works, but
could/should be factored differently, etc.

This particular FIXME was added by commit
6b9b778b1bc09eeb7d6e982a6fd5420b2209a641 authored by Joe Atzberger. I've
not dug into this far enough to know why he thought that GetFrameworkCode
might be the better function to use here. If he sees this thread, maybe he
can comment. However, I think its safe to say that the error you are
experiencing is not related to this FIXME.

Kind Regards,
Chris