[Koha-devel] SimpleServer using Solr progress

LAURENT Henri-Damien henridamien.laurent at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 12:27:38 CET 2011

Le 16/02/2011 11:54, Thomas Dukleth a écrit :
> [Original subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Solr and Z3950 server some news.]
>

> 1.  YAZ CONFIGURATION.
>
> SimpleServer, like all IndexData products is dependent upon YAZ.
>
> My thought on the bad MARC error from testing BibLibre work on
> SimpleServer as a Z39.50/SRU server using Solr/Lucene is that the record
> syntax/schema serialisation is not working correctly because no GFS
> configuration file has been specified for YAZ.  A SimpleServer
> implementation without a configuration file for YAZ would lack CQL to PQF
> conversion, Explain support, etc.  The built in defaults seem to be
> insufficient for proper record syntax/schema serialisation.
>
> SimpleServer can be started with the -f option to specify a GFS
> configuration file for YAZ,
> http://www.indexdata.com/yaz/doc/server.vhosts.html .  YAZ retrieval
> facility documentation,
> http://www.indexdata.com/yaz/doc/tools.retrieval.html , is needed to help
> understand serialisation for the GFS configuration file.  Z39.50 object
> identifiers (OIDs) are listed at
> http://www.loc.gov/z3950/agency/defns/oids.html .
>
> A YAZ GFS configuration example is in etc/yazgfs.xml in the YAZ source
> code.  Other needed configuration files such as pqf.properties,
> cqlpass.properties, and maps.xml are linked from yazgfs.xml.  In Koha, the
> YAZ GFS configuration file is etc/koha-conf.xml which links to other
> files, such as etc/zebradb/explain-biblios.xml, and differently named
> files, such as etc/zebradb/cql.properties.
>
> The Koha examples have several mistakes and omissions including the
> following.  Generic XML might include MARCXML and Dublin Core along with
> any other XML schema  , therefore, generic XML should not be conflated
> with MARCXML which have distinctive serialisations.  UNIMARC and USMARC
> are distinctive and having UNIMARC use USMARC  defaults causes confusion
> and may lead to bugs.  There are other mistakes and omissions for Koha YAZ
> configuration but those seem most relevant to BibLibre's current work on
> SimpleServer.
>
> The ambiguity of the Z39.50 standard over whether records from the result
> set would need to be retrieved again from the server for the present
> command if they had already been retrieved as part of the response to the
> search command complicates my understanding of what may be happening on
> the server and client side when using the present command.  YAZ behaviour
> is expected to parse MARCXML records in a distinctive MARC formatted
> manner also used to parse ISO 2709 records when the present command is
> issued.  In the current state of work on SimpleServer, with the apparent
> absence of proper serialisation, the present command returns incompletely
> parsed MARC records.  YAZ does not attempt parsing for generic XML.
> Saving MARCXML in raw format would avoid the MARC parsing from present.

Many thanks for your time invested, your feedback and thoughtfull hints.
We will try and get things out of this.
And we will try adding a yaz xml file and make that file used in the
SimpleServer.

> 2.  INVARIANT RESULT SET.
>
> A more important problem remains that any SimpleServer query has been
> returning exactly the same result set whether or not there would be any
> legitimate matches.  1011 records had always been returned on when I
> tested on Friday.  1027 records were always being returned when I tested
> on Monday.
I think this problem comes from the fact that whatever the query is, if
there is no answer possible, we are exposing the whole lot.

> 3.  DIRECTION FOR NOW.
>
> I hope that my testing and direction to a possible solution has been
> helpful to people working on SimpleServer using Solr/Lucene at BibLibre.
> As much fun as more actively helping to fix the problems would be, I have
> to return to some non-library commitments presently.

Thanks Thomas.

--
Henri-Damien LAURENT