[Koha-devel] Separating MARC Framework Structure from Display

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 13:13:21 CET 2011

2011/2/23 Ian Walls <ian.walls at bywatersolutions.com>

> To that end, I'd recommend some changes to how the display information is
> handled in the GUI.  First off, having 'basic' constraints and 'advanced'
> constraints (hidden by JQuery) should be eliminated in favour of a semantic
> section and a display section.  Secondly, the 'hidden' value should no
> longer be an integer (at least in the GUI), but a dropdown, or series of
> dropdowns, laying out in plain text under what conditions you're hiding the
> value.

I've had this conversation with Ian many times and I usually throw in that
I'd go a step further and say that cataloging shouldn't be dependent on
Frameworks at all!  We should have the option to use a Framework if we want
one, but for us professional catalogers we want freedom to add and remove
fields as we see fit - while cataloging - not before we start cataloging.
I'd like to see a blank cataloging form that I can tab through and add
fields and subfields as needed.  If I'm understanding right, the first step
in this process would be to make the changes Ian is suggesting and then we
can move forward from there.

> Does this make sense to others, or am I writing too late into the evening?

Makes sense to me - but like I said I've heard it all before :)

Thanks
Nicole