[Koha-devel] Running Koha 3.2 and 3.4

Galen Charlton gmcharlt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 20:35:33 CET 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 7:56 AM, Nicole Engard <nengard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have seen a bunch of messages from chris_n saying that we need to
> test our patched on Koh 3.2.x as well as the current HEAD. So my
> question is how do you all do that? I have one local virtual machine
> with HEAD on it - I have no clue how to have both 3.2.x and HEAD. I
> tried copying my VM and while it looks like that went okay, I have no
> idea how to access that VM via the browser to actually test Koha.  So
> I guess I'm looking for a tutorial and/or guidance on how to keep two
> installs up to date.

Using two VMs would be one way of doing it, but we'd need to know more
about your VM setup to work out any problems with accessing their web
interfaces simultaneously.  The two VMs should be assigned different
internal IP addresses by the VM host software; running sudo ifconfig
in each one might tell you what they are.

As far as having a 3.4 and a 3.2 database in a single VM, it would
basically be a matter of

* creating two MySQL databases
* creating to dev-mode Koha installations, one tracking master and the
other 3.2.x, with different run-time directories
* creating two Apache site definitions

For work that you do on the command line, you'd have to make sure that
the PERL5LIB and KOHA_CONF environment variables were set to refer to
whichever database you are working with at the time.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton