[Koha-devel] Perl // operator

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jan 17 21:02:37 CET 2011

Marc Chantreux wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:51:23PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> > It's not very clear, but http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html seems to
> > say that 5.8 is still supported.
>
> perl stable version is 5.12, not even 5.10 (released on December 18, 2007).
>
> 5.8 (last maintenance release: December 14, 2008) is "maintained". it
> doesn't mean "you should use it" but "if you have perl legacy scripts to
> run on a old system, we carre about it".

Yes, I know all that, but 5.8 has not been end-of-lifed like 5.6 yet,
has it?  It's in the same "maintained" status as 5.10, it appears.

> plus! most of us still use a 5.10 interpreter so we can't provide a
> any serious waranty to be 5.8 compliant as long as we haven't a test
> suite with large coverage running on a perlbrewed 5.8.

So "use 5.008_006;" wouldn't warn you when you exceed it?  Ouch.

> is there a *real* reason to take us away from all new perl features ?

World domination!  5.8 is still a bigger potential user base.

The most conspicuous laggard is MacOS X 10.6 which I think has perl
5.10.0 but built in a way that MARC::Charset doesn't like.  Happily,
it also has some version of 5.8.  I wouldn't recommend running Koha on
MacOS X, but some people do and I don't understand why we should drop
them for the sake of replacing a few defined-s and things like that
with less readable alternatives.

As I wrote before, I'm fine with whatever Chris decides on 3.4, but
5.8 support should remain in 3.2 and 3.0.

Hope that explains,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha