[Koha-devel] Perl // operator

Marc Chantreux marc.chantreux at biblibre.com
Mon Jan 17 18:48:36 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 04:51:23PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> It's not very clear, but http://www.cpan.org/src/README.html seems to
> say that 5.8 is still supported.

perl stable version is 5.12, not even 5.10 (released on December 18, 2007).

5.8 (last maintenance release: December 14, 2008) is "maintained". it
doesn't mean "you should use it" but "if you have perl legacy scripts to
run on a old system, we carre about it".

plus! most of us still use a 5.10 interpreter so we can't provide a
any serious waranty to be 5.8 compliant as long as we haven't a test
suite with large coverage running on a perlbrewed 5.8.

is there a *real* reason to take us away from all new perl features ?

regards

--
Marc Chantreux
BibLibre, expert en logiciels libres pour l'info-doc