[Koha-devel] utf8 in labels pdf -- kernel of a solution

Reed Wade reedwade at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 11:40:28 CET 2011

I was poking around at bug 2246 for some reason and thought it might
be more fun to step back a bit.

The result is a perl fragment that does the basic work of creating a
pdf which has a barcode and text in Greek, Cyrillic, all the latins,
Japanese, Thai, Hindi and Gujarati (I'm not conversant in most of
those languages so I might have some silly mistakes there) all on one
page.

It uses PDF::API2 instead of PDF::Reuse.

If you're curious, have a look at  http://reedwade.net/koha/labels/
for the perl script and the pdf output.

The enabling feature of interest is the ability in PDF::API2 to build
a font from a set of ttf fonts and assigning different unicode code
pages (or ranges) for each.

It might be possible to rejigger C4/Creators/PDF.pm to use PDF::API2
instead of PDF::Reuse.

This is something I predict I will not have time to pursue further
anytime soon -- I'm hoping someone else might enjoy that?

-reed