[Koha-devel] utf8 in labels pdf -- kernel of a solution

Koustubha Kale kmkale at anantcorp.com
Sun Jan 30 09:09:14 CET 2011

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Reed Wade <reedwade at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was poking around at bug 2246 for some reason and thought it might
> be more fun to step back a bit.
>
> The result is a perl fragment that does the basic work of creating a
> pdf which has a barcode and text in Greek, Cyrillic, all the latins,
> Japanese, Thai, Hindi and Gujarati (I'm not conversant in most of
> those languages so I might have some silly mistakes there) all on one
> page.
>
> It uses PDF::API2 instead of PDF::Reuse.
>
> If you're curious, have a look at  http://reedwade.net/koha/labels/
> for the perl script and the pdf output.
>
> The enabling feature of interest is the ability in PDF::API2 to build
> a font from a set of ttf fonts and assigning different unicode code
> pages (or ranges) for each.
>
> It might be possible to rejigger C4/Creators/PDF.pm to use PDF::API2
> instead of PDF::Reuse.
>
> This is something I predict I will not have time to pursue further
> anytime soon -- I'm hoping someone else might enjoy that?
>
> -reed

Hi Reed,
This is very interesting. Been a problem for long for Indic barcodes. I
would love to dabble in this.
Thanks.

Regards,
Koustubha Kale
Anant Corporation

Contact Details :
Address  : 103, Armaan Residency, R. W Sawant Road, Nr. Golden Dyes Naka,
Thane (w),
                Maharashtra, India, Pin : 400601.
TeleFax  : +91-22-21720108, +91-22-21720109
Mobile     : +919820715876
Website  : http://www.anantcorp.com
Blog : http://www.anantcorp.com/blog/?author=2