[Koha-devel] File organisation within release tarball

Mahesh T Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 09:39:03 CEST 2011

Dear all,

Have some questions on naming of the release tarball, and organisation
of files within it.

I am not sure if this has been discussed before; at least, have not come
across a discussion in the archives.

1. A really math  question.

Why does a file named koha-3.04.02.tar.gz extract to "koha-3.4.02"??

Did I get my math wrong?

On a related note, when I run koha_perl_deps.pl, I am told that
Graphics::Magick is only 1.3.12, while the required version is 1.3.5.
This is with 3.4.2.

2. Am I the only one to feel that files are really scattered within the
source directory (the one we get when we extract the tarball)??

2.1 For a start, why not move al those INSTALL* files into a INSTALL
directory within the source directory?

2.2 In the installed directory (the default location - /usr/share/koha),

rebuild_zebra.pl is not really a migration tool. At least, it currently
is not. Time to move rebuild_zebra.pl to bin/cronjobs?