[Koha-devel] File organisation within release tarball

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Thu Jul 21 09:47:25 CEST 2011

On 21 Jul 2011 19:39, "Mahesh T Pai" <paivakil at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Have some questions on naming of the release tarball, and organisation
> of files within it.
>
> I am not sure if this has been discussed before; at least, have not come
> across a discussion in the archives.
>
> 1. A really math  question.
>
> Why does a file named koha-3.04.02.tar.gz extract to "koha-3.4.02"??
>
> Did I get my math wrong?

What do you think it should extract to? It is not a number ie they aren't
decimal points. 3.04.02 is 3.4.2, 3.11.04 would be 3.11.4, 3.04.11 3.4.11
etc.

> On a related note, when I run koha_perl_deps.pl, I am told that
> Graphics::Magick is only 1.3.12, while the required version is 1.3.5.
> This is with 3.4.2.

Again they aren't base 10 decimal numbers 1.3.5 is less than 1.3.12

Just like perl 5.10 is greater than 5.8.4

> 2. Am I the only one to feel that files are really scattered within the
> source directory (the one we get when we extract the tarball)??
>
> 2.1 For a start, why not move al those INSTALL* files into a INSTALL
> directory within the source directory?

Send a patch :)

> 2.2 In the installed directory (the default location - /usr/share/koha),
>
> rebuild_zebra.pl is not really a migration tool. At least, it currently
> is not. Time to move rebuild_zebra.pl to bin/cronjobs?
>
> From what I have read about it,
> bin/maintenance/remove_items_from_biblioitems.pl is a migration tool. Or
> have I understood it wrongly? (INSTALL wrongly mentions its location as
> misc/maintenance/. The correct location ought to be bin/maintenance/ .

And again, patches welcome as long as they update all the documentation too

Chris