[Koha-devel] Perl scripts not ending in .pl

Edgar Fuß ef at math.uni-bonn.de
Sun Jul 31 18:12:55 CEST 2011

> There's no reason for a perl program to end in .pl beyond convention
Yes, of course.
But if you have nearly all of the scripts ending in .pl and a fix-perl-path.PL that seems to suggest all the scripts do end in .pl, that's confusing.

Let me elaborate on how this hit me:
I was working for a fix to 6390, introducing a new syspref. Changing the syspref failed with ``internal server error'' (not the real one, the JavaScript popup).
After hours of searching and tracing my web server, I found out that svc/config/systempreferences was not executed, but delivered, because a) I had configured my lighttpd to only execute .pl scripts and b) it had /usr/bin/perl, not /usr/pkg/bin/perl in it.

So the problem was that this one script was different from the others.
I was misled because I thought I had broken the setting of preferences with my patch, while really it never worked for me with this version of Koha. I just never tried since the upgrade.