[Koha-devel] RFC: Improved book covers

Nicholas van Rheede van Oudtshoorn vanoudt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 09:38:36 CEST 2011

Hi all,

We've been avid users of Koha here at Perth Bible College for quite a few
years now. Recently, I've done some work to improve the book cover system
here at PBC. A lot of our records lack ISBN records (BAD library practices
in the old library system!), and I really wanted something nicer than a
"cover not found" image. The result (attached) is an html/css book cover
generating system - which also locally stores covers attained from
librarything and openlibrary, redirecting to an amazon image if no cover is
found. Unfortunately, it's in php - since I'm more familiar with that. :(
The kernel for the system (though it's been *heavily* modified is courtesy a
script by Art Zemon from 2008.

We also put together a newbooks display. The results can be seen on the
landing page: http://library.pbc.wa.edu.au/ - (and there you'll see that
even some of our "new" books don't have ISBNs! <groan>)

Hoping this might be of use to someone else. Something like the html/css
book cover system could, in my opinion, be very useful...

Nick van Oudtshoorn
Perth Bible College