[Koha-devel] KOHA version 3.0, my question is about the advantages of KOHA 4

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Mon Jun 6 11:17:18 CEST 2011

Christian Calle Jahuira wrote:
> Write to La Paz Bolivia, I have implemented KOHA version 3.0,
> my question is about the advantages of KOHA 4 and LibLime,
> which presents differences.

The latest version is Koha 3.4.  There is no Koha 4 yet.
LibLime is trying to pass off their LMS as Koha, but it is not Koha.
Do not be tricked!  Koha would not delete its contibutor credits.

As I understand it, LibLime 4.2 is actually a fork around Koha 3.0,
which was the last version release-managed by someone from LibLime (oh
the pain) and was end-of-lifed by koha-community last month, as in
http://lists.koha-community.org/pipermail/koha-devel/2011-May/035542.html

Also, I think that the public LibLime 4.2 is not current, with their
customers using later versions.  So their public version is already
obsolete by its publisher and based on a now-unsupported community
release, so why would anyone use it unless forced or daft?

This seems like a repeat of the trick when LibLime started selling
"Enterprise Koha" - and where is that now? ;-)

Koha 3.4 is clearly the place to be.  The big feature there is the
improved template system, but since 3.0, the acquisitions module is
significantly revamped, the system preferences editor is easier to
use, there's bulk item editing, better reports, serials and
cataloguing, more connections to other systems, more localisaton, tons
of small bugs fixed and more that you can find in the release notes.

Hope that informs,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/