[Koha-devel] KOHA version 3.0, my question is about the advantages of KOHA 4

Clay Fouts cfouts at liblime.com
Tue Jun 7 21:31:53 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 4:26 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:

> That's not a reason in favour of Liblime 4.2.  Most Koha developers
> develop features that libraries request - and then submit them
> promptly to the community, unlike Liblime.

This is particularly dense, MJ. The features present in LK4.2 are already
paid for. A library using it would not have to pay LibLime or anyone else in
order to be able to take advantage of them.

> A couple of firms even
> develop features to provide a service to libraries as our basic
> missions, rather than to provide a profit to external investors in
> a company that bought a business that bought a business.

... and now the sermon. And who *sold* that original business?

> Actually, you're mistaken: Koha 3.4 can handle those.

Glad to be mistaken, then. It's a feature that a lot of libraries need.

> The underlying
> structural bug released by the 3.0 release manager (from Liblime) has
> been fixed in 3.4.  There are some consequences, but there are other
> capacity-improvement patches and branches to cure them linked from the
> wiki if anyone wants them before they are included in a future Koha
> release.

The resounding chorus in all of your messages seems to be "It's Josh's
fault!"

> So that isn't a reason for a library to be cut off from the global
> community by using the already-obsolete Liblime 4.2.

This is FUD, pure and simple. Is community Koha 3.2 "already-obsolete"
because it's not the most current version? We've already pushed out two sets
of updates since the initial 4.2 release.

Regards,
Clay