[Koha-devel] KOHA version 3.0, my question is about the advantages of KOHA 4

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Jun 7 13:26:43 CEST 2011

Clay Fouts wrote:
> Why would anyone use it? I've given a link to the current release notes that
> document the features that are unique to our fork. There are release notes
> for previous version, as well. We don't develop features for the fun of it
> (usually); we develop features that libraries want and that don't yet exist.

That's not a reason in favour of Liblime 4.2.  Most Koha developers
develop features that libraries request - and then submit them
promptly to the community, unlike Liblime.  A couple of firms even
develop features to provide a service to libraries as our basic
missions, rather than to provide a profit to external investors in
a company that bought a business that bought a business.

> Just as a brief example, many libraries have records that hundreds or even a
> thousand items. Koha 3.4 can't handle those. LibLime [...] 4.2 can.

Actually, you're mistaken: Koha 3.4 can handle those.  The underlying
structural bug released by the 3.0 release manager (from Liblime) has
been fixed in 3.4.  There are some consequences, but there are other
capacity-improvement patches and branches to cure them linked from the
wiki if anyone wants them before they are included in a future Koha
release.

So that isn't a reason for a library to be cut off from the global
community by using the already-obsolete Liblime 4.2.

Hope that informs,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/