[Koha-devel] KOHA version 3.0, my question is about the advantages of KOHA 4

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jun 8 01:06:04 CEST 2011

Clay Fouts wrote:
> "1. the fork exists mainly because of Liblime's 3.0 release manager;"
>
> Back to "Josh made me do it!" chorus...

Yeah, well, truth doesn't change over time.  I posted the links for
all to read the actual exchange as it happened.

> Five months of lead time is not
> exactly a last minute change. But I suppose that's as good of excuse as any.

It wasn't an simple bug to identify, as the somewhat off-beam
suggestions from @liblime in that thread hopefully illustrate.

Not an excuse, just an explanation.  Interesting that you suggest
forks need excusing: I guess PTFS knows the Liblime forks are a fankle.

> I stand corrected in regards to you passing off your fork as "Koha". So then
> why does so little of your work show up in the community repository? Does
> software.coop just not do much software development?

We're not doing as much Koha development as I'd like just now.  We're
doing more development on other things, some of which support our Koha
deployments (like the git-bz patch I published this week, for
example), plus one or two that don't.  The bulk of our Koha
development is in reconciling that fork, so some day soon there should
be a couple of surges and we'll be basically back on track, working on
new stuff for the mainline again at last.  Other than that, we work on
the various websites and give some support on IRC and mailing lists,
as well as serve our own libraries.

And how about PTFS?  Why's it taking so long to reconcile the Limlibe
fork? Does PTFS just not do much software development?

http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha