[Koha-devel] Trouble with CSS files after creating package with translations

Vincent Danjean vdanjean.ml at free.fr
Wed Jun 22 16:37:31 CEST 2011

  Hi,

  just a few remarks about translation packaging.

On 22/06/2011 14:44, Robin Sheat wrote:
> Op woensdag 22 juni 2011 20:26:12 schreef Magnus Enger:
>> My understanding of the steps involved is severely limited, but if
>> there is any "manual labour" involved I'd be happy to volunteer!
>
> Well, the guts of it is this (from memory):
>
> * The debian/rules file contains the commands that need to be run to install
> everything into a chroot that is needed to build all the packages (at the
> moment just koha and koha-common.) If the command to build the translations
> was added to this, along with anything needed to put them in the right place
> (probably alongside the en installed files), then that's the first step.
> * Say you've set it up to install the -no translations, then you need to add
> the details of that package in debian/control (or, really, debian/control.in.)
> This is a description and depends and so forth. Basically, it'll require a)
> anything that's needed to build the translations (build-depends), and b) it'll
> depend on koha-common to be installed.

  If you have a control.in and if generating different package language is
really similar, you can auto-generate the paragraph in control.
For an example, look at
http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=collab-maint/koha.git;a=tree;f=debian;hb=wip
the file control, control.LL and rules

> * Make sure that koha-common.install doesn't pull in the translations into the
> package that it makes - it should only include the default en ones (or,
> perhaps, they should be in their own package too. I'm not sure about that
> though.)
> * Create something like koha-translations-no.install (the name being whatever
> you called it in the control file) that tells it where the translated files go
> when the rules file is being evaluated, and where they should end up when the
> package is installed.

A 'classical' name for such packages is 'koha-l10n-XX' (see icedove, iceweasel,
kde, koffice, libreoffice, ...). The install files can probably be autogenerated
if the pattern is regular enough.

Note that you can have a 'special' target in debian/rules to (re)generate
packaging files (control, koha-l10n-XX.install, ...) that will be triggered
manually by a developer when a new language must be added. But the
control file *must not* be updated during a regular build of koha (with
dpkg-buildpackage for examples). That would badly break the policy (and various
tools at Debian if koha ended uploaded in official repo)

  Regards,
    Vincent

> All going to plan, this should work :) Once someone has worked out the tricks
> the first time, any other translations should just be a copy-paste of that
> with appropriate language codes changed.
>
> It's been on my radar for a while (I really want to get -en-nz into there for
> example), but I've lacked the time, and things aren't going to get quieter in
> the next month or three it looks like (too many libraries want Koha now
> apparently :)

Vincent Danjean                 Adresse: Laboratoire d'Informatique de Grenoble
Téléphone:  +33 4 76 61 20 11            ENSIMAG - antenne de Montbonnot
Fax:        +33 4 76 61 20 99            ZIRST 51, avenue Jean Kuntzmann
Email: Vincent.Danjean at imag.fr           38330 Montbonnot Saint Martin