[Koha-devel] Greetings Koha-devel

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed Mar 16 20:44:34 CET 2011

2011/3/17 pete huerter <pete.huerter at gmail.com>:
> Hi Koha-devel group,
>
> I am a volunteer with the Archives and Collections Society http://aandc.org/
> in Picton, ON, Canada.  I work with Paul (who also posts to Koha-discuss,
> and will likely post here soon.)  I have been helping with all technical
> aspects of setting up Koha for this non-profit charitable library.  For our
> data migration we are mapping from OpenOffice spreadsheet to MARC21 format
> using MarcEdit.  We also use some custom perl scripts.  Our server is Ubuntu
> Linux.  So we are mostly using free software (except for running MarcEdit on
> Windows, which we will be changing to Linux shortly).

Great to have you onboard. If you want to avoid having to use MarcEdit
(proprietary software). Then you might like to check out
the script we have developed to convert from a csv file to MARC
http://git.catalyst.net.nz/gw?p=koha.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/csvmigration

Robin who wrote it, is winging his way to the Solomon Islands now to
do some more training, but he might chip and point to a more recent
version.

> I am a software developer.  My background is in compilers and high
> performance parallel debugging, so all of this is totally new to me.  I am
> having a great time learning and am totally impressed with Koha.  This is a
> really useful tool and we feel lucky to have it covered by the GPL.
>
> Thanks for all of your hard work, and thanks for all of your help over on
> Koha-discuss.  I know that some of my more technical questions are better
> placed here.  However the Nabble interface led me to believe this list was
> not active any longer.

I think the Nabble one points to the old list, before we had to move domains.

Chris