[Koha-devel] Question about where to put things for Picturesearch/kidsearch

David Schuster dschust1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:39:36 CET 2011

This is being designed for k-2 students and I'm working to align it to
curriculum requirements in the US.  I don't know how similar it will be
internationally but probably pretty close.

So on my test box as I've been building this picture based search tool I
have put the files in koha-tmpl/opac-tmpl/prog/en/xxx.... location

Is that the best place to start a new directory for picturesearch or kidspac
which will hold the css etc... files along with all the images?  I'm working
really hard to make this so that it will be available for any koha library
to use.

Currently this is what I have running - r

Requires Javascript as it stores a temporary cookie with a location code
then takes you into a page with pictures

   1. discover.html - select the category 12 options or so(animals for
   example)
   2. animals.html - select a second category(farm, pets, wetland animals
   etc...)
   3. When you click the animal - sheep - it builds the search and passes it
   to Koha with some javascript with the location that is in the cookie and it
   updates the cookie with the page in which you are entering the regular Koha
   catalog display.
   4. I have some Javascript that I inserted into
   en/includes/doc-head-close.inc - which looks for the cookie that was set
   earlier - and if it is there it displays a large red arrow to return to
   Picturesearch  or Kidsearch whatever we call it. Which displays on both the
   list display and specific bib - I also added a div I think in the
   opac-header - but will have to verify that piece.
   5. when you click on the big arrow it reads the cookie that was updated
   in step 3 to determine which page of the picturesearch/kidspac to return you
   to.

Thoughts?  I'm almost ready to put the proof of concept out there for you to
see it, but wanted to know the best place to put the files.  I have more
verification with some of the pictures and building more categories...
--
David Schuster
Plano ISD