[Koha-devel] KohaCon11 hackfest: discussion

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Mon Mar 28 09:33:14 CEST 2011

Le 26/03/2011 05:44, Koustubha Kale a écrit :
> So is there a consensus emerging here about splitting the hackfest and
> running in parallel?
About splitting yes, about running in parallel, i'm still not convinced.
Let me explain
My main concern here is: if we run in parallel will put more pressure on
experienced developers: we can't be at the same time teaching & hacking.
So I'm afraid the success will heavily depend on how many experienced
devs there will be ! And I think/suspect that this number won't be so
high...
I'm happy to teach ppl, but hacking together is invaluable too. I don't
want to miss one part.

I've another concern: having some rest. In USA, we didn't stop at all.
Same in NZ. In France, we had a full week-end for visiting (well, not
me, as I was at home), and started the hackfest on monday morning,
highly motivated & rested.
> If yes, what days and dates? If we take a break on Thursday 3rd
> November, then we get Friday 4th November and may be we can work
> through the weekend, so that everyone can get back sooner OR we can
> break for weekend and continue from Monday 7th???
I think trying to concentrate everything on a single week is a mistake.
We had better resting/visiting during the week-end and starting on monday.
The idea of thursday break friday/saturday teaching, sunday break,
mon->wed hacking sounds really a good idea to me: will let us have some
rest to be efficient for work phases.

Is it an option to have the conference finish on friday, week-end
resting, then a full week of teaching/hacking ? (was what we did in
France in 2006)

my 2cts

--
Paul POULAIN