[Koha-devel] KohaCon11 hackfest: discussion

Koustubha Kale kmkale at anantcorp.com
Sat Mar 26 05:44:30 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM, JAMES Mason <mason at kohaaloha.com> wrote:

> On 2011-03-23, at 12:27 AM, MJ Ray wrote:
>
>> Paul Poulain wrote:
>>> I proposed during the first IRC meeting to split the hackfest in 2
>>> sub-parts, each of them dealing with one goal:
>>> * Hackfest part 1 = "become a Koha developper"
>>> * Hackfest part 2 = "do some hacking".
>>> We could say part1 is about theory, and part2 is about practising what
>>> we've learned on part1 ;-) (and of course, ppl coming for part1
>>> would/should/could stay for part2 !)
>>
>> I think splitting it would be helpful, especially if the two parts
>> could take place in parallel somehow.
>

> yeah, in parallel is a great idea, i think, and easily arranged once we get there...
>
> so already experienced developers can skip the 'basic' class, and start working on what looks tricky/important, etc
>

>> As many of us are painfully aware, there are some Koha support
>> companies which are not participating in these events at all.  How do
>> we avoid handing them an advantage?
>

> yeah, thats a bummer for everyone... :/
>
> but hey!, think for the advantages you/me get for going to a KohaCon...
>
> 1 whole years worth of news, info, tips/tricks, work-leads, and genuine friendships with people in other parts of the world
>

> cheers, Mason

So is there a consensus emerging here about splitting the hackfest and
running in parallel?
If yes, what days and dates? If we take a break on Thursday 3rd
November, then we get Friday 4th November and may be we can work
through the weekend, so that everyone can get back sooner OR we can
break for weekend and continue from Monday 7th???

Lets come to some conclusion on this, so that people who want to
participate in the Hackfest can plan their itinerary.

Regards

kmkale