[Koha-devel] FW: Code simplicity document

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Wed May 11 16:22:10 CEST 2011

On 12 May 2011 00:19, Marcel de Rooy <M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl> wrote:
> Liked that article!
> As relative new member of the community, I am wondering if the current signoff/passed_qa procedure really encourages new members to keep sending patches.
> It could happen easily now that a patch does not get any attention. What makes someone now select a patch for signoff? Coincidence, contacts, application feature?

Unfortunately that has always been the case since we moved to the
workflow of having patches. The new statuses and reports showing bugs
waiting for sign off have I think made it less likely. For 3.4.0 for
example there were over 1000 patches, from 66 different people in 6
months that made it in. So I think we are slowly improving all the
time, and should strive to continue to do so.

Currently now the best way of getting a patch signed off, is asking
someone to look at it.

> imo we need some more structure at the signoff side. We have the Bugzilla categories that define the default assignment for a new bug. Would it be useful to assign a default signer per category too? Such assignments could be evaluated regularly to see if they still work.

This is also not a new idea, for a long time now we have been trying
to get people to volunteer to 'own' a section of Koha. IE someone
volunteer to look after circulation, someone else the opac, someone
else xslt etc. So far without success, I'd love for this to happen
though :)

Chris