[Koha-devel] Hardware requirements and cluster scalability

Olli-Antti Kivilahti olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi
Wed May 25 11:01:23 CEST 2011

Good day to everybody at the devel-list.
And greetings from Finland!

The library of Joensuu has started a project to compare different open
source library systems, mainly Koha and Evergreen, with the goal of
moving from our current closed source system to open source. We are
planning to create a consortium of minimum of a ~20 libraries, but if
open ILS are found to be superrior, probably the consortium can easily
grow to ~250 libraries with ~5 million articles and ~150 000
transactions/hour.

I have been hard pressed to find answers to the hardware requirements of
Koha and Evergreen and have been instructed to ask here on devel-list by
your library managers.

My main interests are the hardware requirements of the said large
consortium mainframe. How well does it cluster? What sort of hard disk
and ram requirements are there? How many pc units with for example 2GHz
cpu, 2Gb RAM do we need? Could every library host their own databases or
should they be centralized? What are the average search speeds using
simple SELECTs and then complex JOINs. What are the system bottlenecks?
Can the OPAC be integrated with Drupal/Liferay so it can be compatible
with our new web-services strategy?

Are there any publications I could read about these topics?

Happy coding!

--
Olli-Antti Kivilahti
Open Library 2013