[Koha-devel] Spam Re: Hardware requirements and cluster scalability

Fernando L. Canizo conan at lugmen.org.ar
Tue May 31 19:32:30 CEST 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 12:01:23 +0300, Olli-Antti Kivilahti
<olli-antti.kivilahti at jns.fi> wrote:

> ...We
> are planning to create a consortium of minimum of a ~20 libraries,
> I have been hard pressed to find answers to the hardware requirements
> of Koha and Evergreen and have been instructed to ask here on
> devel-list by your library managers.

I cannot answer your hardware questions yet, maybe in a month. But
surely by then you'll have your answer.

But I can comment on this:

> Could every library host their
> own databases or should they be centralized?

If you have data centralized then your libraries would have to share
some common policies among *ALL* libraries.

AFAIK there's no bibliographic/system separation in koha, so you cannot
have a separate centralized database for your bibliographic data and
individual databases for the rest of the stuff.

Here (UNCuyo, Mendoza, Argentina) we're about to implement a
centralized koha for ~20 libraries, but all of them share the same
rules, they must obey a central organism which dictates the policies. I
believe trying to centralize data from libraries which have separate
rules might give you major headaches.

--
Fernando Canizo (a.k.a. conan) - http://conan.muriandre.com/
GCS d? s:+ a C++ P--- L++++ E--- W+++ w--- M-- PE-- !tv b+++ h---- y+++