[Koha-devel] How to gather better popularity data?

Breeding, Marshall marshall.breeding at Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed May 25 17:06:46 CEST 2011

I would be interested to understand more about what is meant by "... potential for helping Social Engineering attacks".

My intent is to accurately and comprehensively represent the libraries that have adopted Koha, as well as the other open source and proprietary automation systems.  I'm not aware of any other project with similar objectives.

-marshall

Marshall Breeding
Editor, Library Technology Guides
http://www.librarytechnology.org
marshall.breeding at librarytechnology.org
http://twitter.com/mbreeding

-----Original Message-----
From: koha-devel-bounces at lists.koha-community.org [mailto:koha-devel-bounces at lists.koha-community.org] On Behalf Of MJ Ray
Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 6:38 AM
To: koha-devel at lists.koha-community.org
Subject: [Koha-devel] How to gather better popularity data?

We're often asked for better data on who is using Koha.  For full disclosure listings, there are good places (like wiki.koha-community.org, when account registration works again) and so-so places (like libwebcats with its incomplete representation of library-support relationships and potential for helping Social Engineering attacks), but what about collecting basic usage data?

A side-effect of the use of debian packages is that koha appears on http://popcon.debian.org/ (14 installations) and http://popcon.ubuntu.com/ (3 installations).  Do other distributions have similar things?  Have many koha package users installed and activated the popularity-contest package?

Can we get more data consensually?  How should we do this?  A question in the web installer/upgrader?  Plus a weekly heartbeat cronjob?

What data should we ask for?  Can we leave it up to libraries how anonymous they will be?  Basic return is "Koha in use" with some generated unique identifier, semi-anonymous response adds which country they are in and how many branches they have, full response includes catalogue name?

I assume this can go in 3.6.  Would the 3.4 RM accept it?

Thanks for any feedback,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha