[Koha-devel] How to gather better popularity data?

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed May 25 20:56:11 CEST 2011

Magnus Enger <magnus at enger.priv.no>
> > Can we get more data consensually?  How should we do this?  A
> > question in the web installer/upgrader?  Plus a weekly
> > heartbeat cronjob?
[...]
> Interesting points!
>
> Have you seen this RFC?
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Add_a_button_to_the_intranet_for_registering_with_the_Koha_community

Probably, but I had forgotten it.

Would advertising in the generator meta tag may make it easier for
robots to identify and attack libraries who don't upgrade promptly?

Putting it in a system preference is a good idea.  I think it would be
better to ask in the web installer/upgrader because I feel someone
installing it is more likely to have permission to notify us than a
librarian who simply has permission to view the about page.  Does it
lose anything by being done at install/upgrade time?

The heartbeat would be good for telling us how many of the Koha
installations are still alive, without having to try to search for
generator tags.  Do search engines let you search for them?

Hope that explains,
http://koha-community.org supporter, web and LMS developer, statistician.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha