[Koha-devel] Bug 6328 (fine in days) and updatedatabase

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Wed Nov 23 12:01:50 CET 2011

Hi chris_n,

The 6328 patch has been QAed by Ian, and can now be pushed.

BUT there is a problem that i'll try to explain:
* as i've announced in my Koha 3.8 release notes and we've worked during
KohaCon11 Hackfest, we're working on a new method to update database on
a non linear way. Jonathan has written code for that. It works pretty
well, i'm testing and there is only (I think) a remaining problem for
fresh installs I plan to work on today. Then i'll submit the patch (see
bug 7167).

* my plan, until this is ready, is to queue all patches that have a
database update. Thus, 3.8 will only have the new method for update.

* The problem is for bugfixes that have a DB update and must be in 3.6.
There should be only a few of them, but here is the 1st, so, we must
deal with it.

My proposition:
* you apply this patch on the 3.6.x
* when the new method is ready, we rewritte the patch for 3.8 updatedb

At the end:
* fresh 3.8 will have directly the correct DB
* 3.6.2+ will be updated to have the correct DB. When upgrading to 3.8,
the new updater will have to check for this and not try to update the DB
once again
* 3.6.0 upgraded to 3.8 will be upgraded through the new DB update, that
will handle this case.

Is there something i'm missing ? Are you OK with this proposition ?