[Koha-devel] Bug 6328 (fine in days) and updatedatabase

Chris Nighswonger chris.nighswonger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 15:27:32 CET 2011

Hey Paul,

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 6:01 AM, Paul Poulain <paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
> My proposition:
> * you apply this patch on the 3.6.x
> * when the new method is ready, we rewritte the patch for 3.8 updatedb
>
> At the end:
> * fresh 3.8 will have directly the correct DB
> * 3.6.2+ will be updated to have the correct DB. When upgrading to 3.8,
> the new updater will have to check for this and not try to update the DB
> once again
> * 3.6.0 upgraded to 3.8 will be upgraded through the new DB update, that
> will handle this case.
>
> Is there something i'm missing ? Are you OK with this proposition ?

I am a little confused. If you are suggesting that we back port the
new updatedatabase scheme, I am in support of this. While this is
technically an enhancement, it is not a "feature" in the proper sense.
It is only a "feature" from a developer's prospective. Applying it to
3.6.x will keep a maintenance nightmare from occurring. The question
regarding such a nightmare is not really "if" but "when."

If the new updatedatabase code will be applied to master in the next
week, I am inclined to wait to apply the fix for 6328. Since this
touches template files and 3.6.x is presently in a string freeze, it
will not make it into 3.6.1 any way, so the wait will not hurt.

If the new updatedatabase code will *not* be applied in the next week,
then as soon as the 3.6.x branch is thawed, I'll be glad to apply this
patch.

Feel free to set me straight if I'm not understanding your proposal.

Kind Regards,
Chris