[Koha-devel] Bug 6328 (fine in days) and updatedatabase

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Wed Nov 23 21:01:36 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Paul Poulain
<paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
> Is there still a case that would cause pain ?
>
> kf & others proposed an IRC meeting to discuss of this. Is it still needed ?

I would like to see us do something like this:

1. Publish a test branch which implements what Paul has described in
full working form, including the ability to demo adding a db update to
both 3.6.x and 3.7.x as proof-of-concept. Theory and explanations are
nice, but a working demo is proof of the pudding (Englishism here).

2. Following this, we can conclude our list discussion and/or irc
discussion, and go from there. This will also give us an opportunity
to submit further improvements/enhancements/etc. which may arise out
of testing the proof-of-concept.

We can even set a time table for these things to happen.

I see absolutely no reason to rush this sort of change. The system we
have in place now *does* work. It may be a bit of a pain to some, but
it has worked through at least three release cycles. The proposed
change does not affect the user in any case. I realize that some may
be already going a different direction internally with regard to db
updates, while others may be relying on the master branch for
production use. Each may choose his own poison in this regard, but
rushing through changes which have global effects will surely lead to
disastrous results.

For the record: I am not particularly married to the existing
updatedatabase.pl methodology. What I don't want is to see the current
stable release laid to rest early. Assurances aside, I'd like to see
proof-of-concept before withdrawing my objections.

Kind Regards,
Chris