[Koha-devel] Bug 6328 (fine in days) and updatedatabase

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Thu Nov 24 16:27:23 CET 2011

Le 23/11/2011 21:01, Chris Nighswonger a écrit :
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Paul Poulain
> <paul.poulain at biblibre.com> wrote:
>> Is there still a case that would cause pain ?
>>
>> kf & others proposed an IRC meeting to discuss of this. Is it still needed ?
>
> I would like to see us do something like this:
>
> 1. Publish a test branch which implements what Paul has described in
> full working form, including the ability to demo adding a db update to
> both 3.6.x and 3.7.x as proof-of-concept. Theory and explanations are
> nice, but a working demo is proof of the pudding (Englishism here).
The patch attached on the bug are almost working. I'll update them, and
that will be easy to test.

> 2. Following this, we can conclude our list discussion and/or irc
> discussion, and go from there. This will also give us an opportunity
> to submit further improvements/enhancements/etc. which may arise out
> of testing the proof-of-concept.

Agreed.

> I see absolutely no reason to rush this sort of change.
My hurry was due to the fact I don't wanted to block bugfixes that have
an impact on updatedatabase because of the new updatedb management
system is not ready.
But after all those discussions, I think the previous 3.6 will be OK
even with the new 3.8 one. So I'll probably push those patches as they
are (for both master & 3.6.x)

> It may be a bit of a pain to some, but
> it has worked through at least three release cycles. The proposed
> change does not affect the user in any case.
Yes it does: if a customer has sponsored a feature with DB changes,
applying the patch to this customer before it's included in official
version is a nightmare. And it appends more than once a year for BibLibre.

PS: as i've said on the other thread, i'll work on patches to have
something ready to test, in a very close delay.
--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com