[Koha-devel] Update database changes proposal [IMPORTANT]

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Nov 24 13:22:10 CET 2011

Op 25-11-11 00:49, Ian Walls schreef:
> I do like the idea of hashes... but looking at it, we'd essentially be
> mimicking the data structure we already have with Git commits.  Plus,
> readability goes down.

Is readability an issue here? I was thinking a process like:

1) on each page (and this'll improve heaps when we get persistence :)
the list of patch files is build, concated, CRCed.
2) if that value is different from what's stored in the DB, we can then
do a more expensive process to work out what has and hasn't been applied.
3) apply the ones we need to, note that however (exercise for reader:)
4) save the hash generated in (1) into the DB
5) ???
6) Profit!

Just an idea, please take and rework as you see fit, or not. I'm a fan
of some kind of check for every page load (or, perhaps just every "main"
page load, e.g. the front page of each module - no check on the speed
critical pages would be good) though, otherwise people _will_ get caught
out and confused.

Another option may be saving the date of the most recent patch file,
however I can see issues there with local customisations on top of a
tarball or something. Also, git isn't good at keeping timestamps intact.

But basically, a quick check to see "do we need to?" followed by "yes we
do, lets spend 10 seconds working out the details because it's OK to do
that now" kind of thing.

Robin.