[Koha-devel] Update database changes proposal [IMPORTANT]

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Nov 25 11:15:52 CET 2011

Ian Walls <ian.walls at bywatersolutions.com> [...]
> We were discussing the following at hackfest:

:-( but thank you for documenting it now.

[...]
> A YAML file, edited by the RM only, that assigns those update files to a
> specific database revision number.  This gives us a quick and ordered means
> of determining what has been "blessed" by the release team, and allow us to
> continue a quick check of "is DB version equal to software version?" on
> every page.

I don't understand what this gains us.  What does the revision number
mean?  That a particular update has been applied, or that all updates
up to and including that point in the numbering file have been applied?

> If a user needs to make a local change, they can either apply the atomic
> update file directly (for testing), or add it to the YAML file, but with a
> placeholder string like "LOCALNUMBER" instead of an actual DB rev number.
> This would allow people to put together their own database update
> combinations for local developments, without getting their DB version
> number out of whack.

So how could we infer anything from the DB version number in problem
reports?

Thanks for any answers anyone could give.

Confused,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/