[Koha-devel] Koha uninstalled by Debian Linux "update"

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Fri Oct 21 16:17:42 CEST 2011

At 11:11 AM 10/21/2011 +1300, Robin Sheat wrote:
>Hartman, David W. - GBTS Library schreef op do 20-10-2011 om 11:44
>[-0400]:
> > Just a heads up that a recent “update” by Debian Linux removed the
> > application Koha ­ my apache and data files apparently are fine.
> >
> > How do I reinstall Koha without damaging or overwriting my data?   If
> > anyone has any experience with this, please let me know.
> >
>Just reinstall the koha-common package. Grab a backup if you want to be
>safe, but I'd expect it would be fine. If everything in /etc/ is
>untouched (which I'd expect) then it should just magically work again.
>
> > If you see the red “burst” in the upper right hand corner, only do the
> > safe install .. or else

>Are you able to provide me with more information? Perhaps the logs
>in /var/log/apt or so. I'd like to see what was going on there.

So would I.  Was this an update, upgrade or [safe?] install?  I'm not sure
how Debian could have "removed the application Koha" - maybe backing up
some .conf files under an "old" name?  My own recent but limited experience
is that the perl/CPAN involvement is the most time-consuming aspect of
upgrading to the latest Koha release, but this could potentially be
complicated if an OS upgrade (presumably Linux core) added further factors
requiring intervention.

Best - Paul

Paul
Tired old sys-admin