[Koha-devel] tt style point

Colin Campbell colin.campbell at ptfs-europe.com
Fri Sep 16 18:01:56 CEST 2011

On 16/09/11 16:04, LAURENT Henri-Damien wrote:
> Hi
> I agree with both of you.
> kohaisms are not really interesting.
> And we need to try and strengthen the Coding Style GuideLines.
> But then.
> Who, How, When ?
> Who ? should it be up to contributors or to QA manager to ensure that
> coding style GuideLines are abided.

Style guidelines should be a) simple and b) mechanizable

Here's the style guide for perl in the Apache::Lucy project:

>All code should follow perlstyle.
>
>Formatting is handled automatically using Perltidy with a perltidyrc
>file derived from the guidelines laid out in Damian Conway's book
>'Perl Best Practices'.

Its nice because it points to an way of automatically maintaining
consistency (perltidy) and two sources of recommendations and rationales
for those recommendations.

The fact that its automatic means contributors can be pointed at simple
instructions on how to conform, and QA or RM  can enforce it with a script.

( although my initial point about tt was about style being imposed on
something that usually doesn't have such concerns )

C.

--
Colin Campbell
Chief Software Engineer,