[Koha-devel] tt style point

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Sun Sep 18 21:43:05 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-17, at 4:01 AM, Colin Campbell wrote:

> On 16/09/11 16:04, LAURENT Henri-Damien wrote:
>> Hi
>> I agree with both of you.
>> kohaisms are not really interesting.
>> And we need to try and strengthen the Coding Style GuideLines.
>> But then.
>> Who, How, When ?
>> Who ? should it be up to contributors or to QA manager to ensure that
>> coding style GuideLines are abided.
>
> Style guidelines should be a) simple and b) mechanizable
>
> Here's the style guide for perl in the Apache::Lucy project
>
>> All code should follow perlstyle.
>>
>> Formatting is handled automatically using Perltidy with a perltidyrc
>> file derived from the guidelines laid out in Damian Conway's book
>> 'Perl Best Practices'.
>
> Its nice because it points to an way of automatically maintaining
> consistency (perltidy) and two sources of recommendations and rationales
> for those recommendations.

nice spotting Colin :)

i agree, and always run perltidy over my code as a habit

i just checked and there's no mention yet of default .perltidyrc standard on the 'Koha coding guidelines' wiki page
 http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Coding_Guidelines#HTML_Templates

can we discuss, then add one?!? :p
i'm keen on the -pbp 'Perl Best Practices' style, myself

what do other folk think?

cheers, Mason