[Koha-devel] Koha performance enhancement overview

Mason James mtj at kohaaloha.com
Tue Apr 10 10:32:11 CEST 2012

On 2012-04-10, at 5:11 PM, Robin Sheat wrote:

> Mason James schreef op di 10-04-2012 om 17:09 [+1200]:
>> woooh, turbomarc looks pretty cool!
>> but, it looks like zebra does not support turbomarc, (just yet)
>>
>> i think any turbomarc benchmarking for Koha is moot, until zebra
>> supports turbomarc
>
> Well, the rebuild_zebra script could convert it on the fly if it needed
> to.

ah, ok...
so we could possibly use the turbomarc format internally within koha, and just transform it to marcxml for writing out to zebra, when needed
sounds do-able :)

i guess we would need to patch MARC::File::XML, to correctly parse a turbomarc record?

fyi: according to this url, turbomarc parsing is 4-5 times faster that marcxml. so its definitely something to have a look at :)
 http://www.indexdata.com/blog/2010/05/turbomarc-faster-xml-marc-records

just curious, is it worth switching back to the plain old MARC format internally for Koha, for an extra speed increase?

i cant remember what the advantage was in moving to marcxml? (other than marcxml being easier to read, for a human)