[Koha-devel] Koha performance enhancement overview

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue Apr 10 10:37:17 CEST 2012

2012/4/10 Mason James <mtj at kohaaloha.com>:

> On 2012-04-10, at 5:11 PM, Robin Sheat wrote:
>
>> Mason James schreef op di 10-04-2012 om 17:09 [+1200]:
>>> woooh, turbomarc looks pretty cool!
>>> but, it looks like zebra does not support turbomarc, (just yet)
>>>
>>> i think any turbomarc benchmarking for Koha is moot, until zebra
>>> supports turbomarc
>>
>> Well, the rebuild_zebra script could convert it on the fly if it needed
>> to.
>>

> ah, ok...
> so we could possibly use the turbomarc format internally within koha, and just transform it to marcxml for writing out to zebra, when needed
> sounds do-able :)
>
> i guess we would need to patch MARC::File::XML, to correctly parse a turbomarc record?
>
> fyi: according to this url, turbomarc parsing is 4-5 times faster that marcxml. so its definitely something to have a look at :)
>  http://www.indexdata.com/blog/2010/05/turbomarc-faster-xml-marc-records
>

> just curious, is it worth switching back to the plain old MARC format internally for Koha, for an extra speed increase?

Heh, thats what this whole thread started with :) You should read back

> i cant remember what the advantage was in moving to marcxml? (other than marcxml being easier to read, for a human)

When we had items in the marc, it got too big and was truncated, a
limitation of the iso2709 standard. Being truncated rendered it
unusable because it missed the 999 (at the end). MARCXML doesn't
suffer the size limit.

However, now we don't have items stored in the MARC, we could switch
back, if it is indeed faster, we need to test with the missing embed
items function call added back in.

Chris