[Koha-devel] MARC::Record, record length and leader

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Tue Apr 10 16:27:40 CEST 2012

Julian,

I know this is an old discussion but I just realized that saving a biblio
> record longer than 99999 bytes result in a malformed leader. Length of the
> record takes more than 5 characters and therefore remaining characters in
> the leader are shifted to the right.
> This cause the leader to have more than 24 characters.
>
> I'm not sure of what have to be done. Should MARC::Record die when
> encountering such a record? or should it force length to be 99999? or
> should the record be truncated to fit the spec?
> Has someone ever faced this problem? How did you handle it?

MARC::Record should proceed blithely on, like Admiral Farragut at the
Battle of Mobile Bay or the Light Brigade at the Battle of Balaclava. The
record can still be serialized as MARCXML, and large records are not
uncommon in the wild. As far as I know, the only way to handle it is to use
MARCXML instead of iso2709.

Regards,
Jared

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/