[Koha-devel] 3.8.3 dependencies

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Thu Aug 9 18:05:20 CEST 2012

Tomas and Robin,

Thanks for the replies.  My comments below:

At 05:42 PM 8/8/2012 -0300, Tomas Cohen Arazi wrote:
>Robin,
>On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 5:23 PM, Robin Sheat <robin at catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> > Op 08-08-12 22:09, Paul schreef:
> >>
> >> WARNING: on the 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04, do not attempt an apt-get install
> >> of libyaz4-dev_4.2.18-1build1_i386.deb - I ended up with a bunch of
> >> files fragments to purge, found with sudo dpkg --configure -a
> >>
> >> Strangely, libgraphics-magick-perl did not fully install (it's also got
> >> some i386 bits that 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 won't digest) but it does get
> >> far enough to (apparently) meet Koha 3.8.3 dependencies.
> >
> > You shouldn't be touching i386 packages on a 64-bit machine unless you
> > really know what you're doing. libgraphics-magick-perl should be pure 64
> > bit. Better, don't install .deb files of things that are in your apt
> > repo anyway.

I don't go near i386 packages and I rarely use apt-get install -f -- I read
the "missing dependencies" and look for them myself. However, it would
appear that the Ubuntu/Debian apt-get *can* have ideas of its own and
install bits of i386 code (presumably they're quite compatible, as it is
either the 64-bit packages that install some of them, or apt-get installs
them without advance warning; remember "i386|amd64" is not normally part of
the command line.) A bit off-topic, but until recently the Flash player was
only 32 bit, and I think Skype still is.

>I found the ubuntu.packages to cause that behaviour on 64bit setups. I
>also found that fixing the libyaz (and some libmysqlXX-dev) versions
>fixed it. I didn't talk about it as Mark was revisiting those packages
>files for several ubuntu releases and the side effect was that it got
>fixed. Mark and I talked about that fixes on IRC.

I have found a solution (64-bit) for GraphicsMagick -- it needs (believe it
or not) the Windows MetaFile component:

Add http://mirrors.us.kernel.org precise main to /etc/apt/sources list
$ apt-get install libwmf0.2-7 libgraphicsmagick3 libgraphics-magick-perl

These are in fact (from /var/cache/apt/archives/):
libwmf0.2-7_0.2.8.4-10ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libgraphicsmagick3_1.3.12-1.1build1_amd64.deb
libgraphics-magick-perl_1.3.12-1.1build1_amd64.deb

>I don't know if it has been pushed into master (and 3.8.x)  right now
>but I recommend using koha_perl_deps.pl and searching for the right
>packages until the fixed files get pushed.
>
>Paul: try
>
>$ dpkg -l | grep 386

None ...

Again thanks and best regards,